Tuesday, January 8, 2008

You can take a day off from running, but


you can't take a day off from being a mom.

Ethan is feeling somewhat better, although he is still feverish, coughing and snotty. He has at least spent some time awake and has had some smiles and giggles for me. Being sick has made him extra clingy.

Last night, after I put him to bed I had planned on running. My own sickness has been getting worse, and I found that I was eagerly awaiting finishing my run so I could take meds that would make me drowsy. I realized that I was being silly - if I was sick enough that I was looking forward to medicine the way that I am usually looking forward to dessert, then I was sick enough to take the night off. I took the meds and went to bed.

It was not destined to be a restful night. He was up every 2 hours, screaming. Most of the time was spent downstairs on the couch with Derek. At 4:30, I gave up on sleeping, and strapped him into the stroller for a 4.5 miler. He fell asleep within 2 minutes and snoozed the whole time.

I am desperately hoping that he remembers how to sleep again tonight.

No comments: