Monday, August 25, 2008

Lesson learned



I have never before experienced a water crisis while running. It was so stupid humid on my long run yesterday that I finished all of my water after about 7 miles. I was a little sad about it but didn't worry too much.

Before long, I noticed that I had stopped sweating. Distance runners are familiar with the way salt crystallizes on the face in small amounts. Well by this point I felt like a crusty human salt lick. Before long, I started getting chills and feeling fuzzy-headed, so I started to look harder for water sources. The school on my route did not have outdoor water fountains or a hose hookup like I had expected. Finally, like a mirage in the distance, I saw car washing guy. He kindly filled up my empty bottle with his hose and sent me on my merry way. Thanks for being up at 6:30AM, CarDude!

I still ended up cutting my route short by a half mile, so I only went 11.9 miles. I blame the humidity completely and insist that my dinner the night before had nothing to do with my poor performance. Honey roasted cashews and peanut butter M&Ms are great body fuel, right?

3 comments:

Katie said...

Reminds me of the The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

"Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."

Love that car guy!

Me said...

11.9 is still great!! Did you decide whether to try a fuel belt? Or are you going to stash water bottles on your run?

(this is lmjolsness from CAM)

AuntJenny said...

Hi Lora! I think I am going to try stashing and adjusting my routy to go past a convenience store for now. I get a little twitchy if I have to carry too much stuff with me.

Good luck this weekend!!