Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A great run

Sometimes when I run, it feels completely effortless. I spring out of bed in the morning, get out the door in no time, and leap through the miles, bounding with energy. Other times, it is hard. I want to reset the alarm and sleep in, but I don't. I want to sit and read instead of lacing up, but I force myself to get out the door. I want to stop because it is hot, I am tired and my legs are heavy, but somehow I manage to force myself to keep going.

This morning's run was one of the latter kind. It was muggy, I was tired, there was lightning in the distance, and my legs felt like they had small children clinging to them. Despite this, I finished the route. Another 5.25 miles is permanently on my running log. Finishing up, I was feeling relieved that I had finally completed a bad run. I realized, though, that this couldn't have been a bad run. Despite having numerous reasons to turn back and go home, I kept going. I had the resolve to complete what I had started despite the obstacles. I think that qualifies it for the status of a great run.

No comments: